Making our way South.

Piel Island, Barrow In Furness

Its hard to get off the hamster wheel.

Using the electric drive/engine, when not needed, wasn’t going to teach us anything.

Its a tough learning curve.

Carbon free if possible “yes” but a skipper has a responsibility to the crew/wife, RNLI & self.

For emergency’s only. I fitted a Hyundai 7kw, air cooled, LPG site generator into the cockpit. The cost new was just over £800, so very cheap, compared to a water cooled, diesel generator. The latter wouldn’t fit and we couldn’t afford it, cost approximately £7-8,000.

Barrow-In-Furness to Conwy in Wales. The first journey, to take us into the night. We left Barrow early in the morning, after I’d looked at the wind forecast, which showed around 8-10 knots but we’d need to motor to reach it. Still motoring 4 hours later but finally we got to sail and it was awesome, we were hitting 5-6 knots in 10-15 knot’s of wind.

After a few hours, we spotted a big ship on the horizon. Thinking it was moving and anticipating forward speed, I decided to go round the back. However, as we got closer I realised it wasn’t moving. We sailed approximately 20 meters off the stern. Jeanette called me after a while, to say there was a coast guard boat on our port side. I called them on the radio and was told I should stay at least 800 meters away from an oils installation.

After the ship, we hit a fog bank which delayed us by about 2 hours and took us into the dark. We were hoping to get to the Menai Straight but with the delays, we opted for Conwey Marina. I radioed in and booked a visitors berth, we arrived at approximately 3am.

We connected the land line and charge the batteries overnight, to 100%. Almost like filling up for less than £5. A 3 day stop at Conwey was well worth it.

We spent the time, upgrading and off loading things we didn’t need. The chandlery is one of the best I’ve used. I got loads done to the boat, the little detail I wanted to complete before we started.

Conwey on a cold summer evening. Out for fish, chips and a pint.

A red house in Conwey, the smallest in the UK.

Conwey Marina was a busy time.

Conwey to Milford Haven, was completed in 5 sections. Not the original plan.

Stage 1. We sailed from Conwey to Beaumaris in the Menai Straight and anchored. No issues.

The Menai Bridge and one of the Swelly’s. You need to pick your time.

Jeanette on an early morning start.

Stage 2. We sailed down the Menai Strait, just what we needed after negotiating the Swelly’s but probably not the correct thing to do. We were almost at our anchorage and got stuck on a sand bank. My fault, I was loving the sail and didn’t notice the seagulls walking on water. Our boat is a bilge keel so all was good. We let the coast guard know, for safety reasons. It was sun rise when we made it out of the Menai Strait.

Sunrise from the Menai Strait, over Snowdonia.


Stage 3. Exit the straight at dawn. Then Menai Strait to Fishguard, mostly under sail. We motored for the last 17 miles. The boat and system’s worked perfectly again.

Anchored in Fishguard Bay. We used the dinghy to visit a traditional, fishing harbor around the corner.

Ocean Strider in the bay at Fishguard & the harbor round the corner.

Stage 4. Fishguard to White Sands (Saint David’s Head). We sailed as much as possible but had to use the motor again. We couldn’t charge the batterie’s at Fishguard after motoring in and the batteries were getting low.

Stage 5. We left White Sands in the morning with a really good wind. We sailed to Milford Haven waiting pontoon. A fantastic sail, which helped recharge the batteries. Not to 100% but we had plenty of charge to get into Milford. This is just what we should be doing.

We stayed at Milford Haven for a few days. Then the sail to Padstow

In the lock at Milford Haven. Early start 2 am, with a long sail ahead.

Milford Haven to Padstow. We left Milford at 2am on Tuesday 10.07.21 morning. The wind was forecast to be 10-18 knots.  We were 2 hours, out of Milford and the wind died and cost us 3 hours. Once the wind got up again, we had a real good sail but again got to Padstow in the dark. We tacked to the course and were exactly on track for Padstow harbour when the wind totally changed direction. We then motored to the entrance of the channel. I missed a warning, saying you should not attempt to follow the channel on a low spring tide without local knowledge. We were stuck on another sand bank in the channel with our anchor totally fast. I had no choice but to call the Coast Guard, who sent the RNLI to help us off the bank and into Padstow Harbour.

We found an isolated beach, heaven after the crowds in Padstow harbor.

An isolated beach, near an unusual mound and a very busy harbor.

Padstow, a very popular holiday location. Now incredibly busy due to Covid and the new staycation culture we are seeing. There are still quiet places though.

Next stop the Scilly Isles. Correction, next stop Newlyn in Cornwall!!!

End of blog for now.

Published by oceanstrider2

An old boy with a plan to see the world.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: